Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wiki Ideas

Before I read the Exploration on Wikis, I didn't really think they a had any application to my job. Then Bookpusher, CoreyandGriffie, and I were talking, and we think it would be fun to do our Annual Programming Plan as a Wiki. Currently, we keep the programming plan on the common drive and the 3 programmers edit it and save the changes as needed. It might be much easier to do as a Wiki. And if someone makes a mistake, we can go back and see the original document.

For the library system overall, I think it would be fantastic to let the patrons contribute to our catalog by writing book reviews or comments. It would really help people select books and foster a sense of community. If patrons could follow the posts of individual reviewers, they could even find people who share their reading tastes and get suggestions from them.

I will let you know how our Wiki experiment goes. First we have to convince our manager that this is a good idea. He just made a face and says he hates Wikis because they contain incorrect information. I reminded him that we will be posting the information, not strangers. I think he thinks random strangers will be contributing to our plan. . . .

More to follow on this exciting experiment!

2 comments:

Meerkatdon said...

I dunno...having random strangers contribute to your programming plan might be interesting. :)

Seriously, though, it sounds like y'all have a really good idea here. You make me anxious to move on to the wiki assignment.

Keep us posted!

hravan said...

I agree a system programming wiki would be really great. We could post actual program plans there, along with photos like we do on the programming blog.