Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Zoho

Well, back to business. It is really easy to get diverted in this Web 2.0 stuff.

Last night I posted a document that I created using Zoho Writer. Of everything I have learned so far, I think Zoho has the most immediate relevance to library patrons. While we have Word on our computers, we don't have Excel or Powerpoint. Patrons will find Zoho very handy. I think even the skeptical librarians will agree it is a useful thing to know about. However, the patrons who don't bring a diskette or a flash drive are probably the ones that will have trouble using Zoho. So we will be doing lots of teaching.

I was reading an article in PC Magazine that referred to the internet as "the cloud." The article suggests that in the future we may get both our content and our software from the cloud. It is called "cloud computing." I guess Zoho is an example of this. I made my Zoho Writer document without ever uploading or downloading. Visualizing the internet as a cloud is a neat metaphor.

My husband routinely saves his work to Google Docs when he is going on a trip. That way, if there is a problem with his laptop, he can get his presentation again from the web. He is always ahead of me in Web 2.0!

2 comments:

The EEB said...

I experimented briefly with Zoho, but switched to Google Docs since I already had a gmail account. It's great to be able to access documents from work or home. The spreadsheet is simpler to use than Excel's and for me, the simpler the better! So far I just keep my mileage on it, but have been considered switching to it for my family's catagorized list of what we spend. This way, if I stop off at the store on the way to work, I can $$ from a work computer and not have to remember to do it later. Google docs lets you choose with whom I want to share this info doc by doc, I believe.

hravan said...

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try google docs too.