Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Twitter

I haven't posted to this blog since I started playing around with Twitter. I'm now following and being followed by several library staff and friends and it is fun to get little tweets or microblogs during the day. The branches are so isolated from each other but with Titter you can find out that one branch is really busy with school kids and that another branch is having a pizza party. If there were a way to have a branch or system twitter, it would be an efficient way to broadcast brief information system wide. For example, announcing a branch's phones are down or their electricity is out. But since Twitter is designed to be person to person, I'm not sure how well that would work.

At first, I didn't realize that it is normal to be followed by complete strangers. I freaked out and blocked the first unknown person who was following me. My husband informed my that I'm not supposed to do that. Poor etiquette. I'm sorry, whoever you are! Now several other strangers are following me, but I've decided not to follow them. I think it is more fun when you know people. You can see that I figured out how to embed my tweets in my blog.

1 comment:

Meerkatdon said...

Oh, wow - being followed by strangers. That's...hmm, I don't know how I feel about that.

A big second to your thoughts about how Twitter can help de-isolate us. Just yesterday someone said something about one branch that didn't have AC, and I said, "And EDG's AC has been out too." "Oh, did I miss a fax?" I smiled. "There was no fax, I learned about it through Twitter."