Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Social Bookmarking Sites & Folksonomies

Last night I explored Social Bookmarking Sites & Folksonomies. I played around with del.icio.us and linked my new del.icio.us account to my blog. I'm not sure how much I will use del.icio.us. It would be convenint to always have my links handy, and I think it is a great idea to have a branch del.icio.us account to use for homework assignments and links that are not on Recommended Sites. I spent years in my branch trying to ensure that each workstation at the Information desk had the same list of bookmarks. I finally gave up. Del.icio.us would be a solution to that problem. Unfortunately, the del.icio.us buttons don't work in the library so you have to cut and paste all your links.

Although I'm not really interested in seeing everyone else's links on del.icio.us, I thought that the psychology behind tagging is fascinating: order from randomness. Like the internet is coming to life. Maybe we will find life on the internet before the Phoenix Lander finds microbes on Mars. Scary!

Personally, I'm discovering that it is hard to be consistent in my tags. I'll use a singular word one day and a plural the the next, and the day after, an abbreviation. Then I have to go back and fix them all. Maybe that is just librarian pickiness. Should I worry about using "Young Adult," "YA," "Teen," and "Teens" when I mean the same thing for all of them? I need my own personal authority file! That is why we will never ditch the Library of Congress subject headings.

No comments: