Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Last Exploration Second to Last

I jumped ahead to the last exploration just because it looked interesting. I still actually have one more exploration to go. But I was curious, and this is not like reading the last page of a book and spoiling the ending since really, exploring the web is a continuing endeavor.

I was pleased that I recognized many of the sites from the 2008 Web 2.0 Awards. I guess I really have been learning something! I was the most intrigued by the Start Pages section and intend to play around with making my own start page at Netvibes. Now that I'm signed up for so many 2.0 sites and services, I spend all day opening and closing windows and logging in and out of sites. I'd like my stuff all in one place! I'd also like to log in just one time and be good everywhere. There is an internet movement called OpenID whose goal is to give people a "single digital identity across the internet." Many web services are starting to give users the option of logging on with an OpenID login. I've noticed the OpenID box when I post comments to Blogger. Maybe I'll have to join OpenID myself.

In the early 1990s I contributed some web pages to an Archives website. Back then, I had to learn HTML and enter the little formating codes by hand. I'd save the page, open it in Netscape, and find out that I had mis-coded something. So then I'd search through the document to find where I forgot to close the < > thingies, or where I forgot to put in the P for paragraph.

The web is so much easier now. And much more fun.

No comments: