Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Flickr

Today I created a Flickr account and linked it to my blog. I had a bunch of cat photos on my work computer that I use as a screensaver, so I just uploaded them. I've had a Kodakgallery Account for years but have resisted using Flickr because most of my home photos are of friends and family. I worried about privacy, though you can limit who sees your pictures. Also, uploading only 6 at a time seemed like a pain. I'll have to play around with it a little more and see how I really like it.

Part of the trouble right now is that there are too many places to put things. I have about 5 years worth of photos in Kodakgallery and now I have some in Flickr. My husband has his travel photos in Fickr, and since he just got a MacBook, he has put some photos in our iPage account. Plus we have the originals stored on an external hard drive in the basement. It is so much more complicated than a shoebox (in fact, I have prints I've ordered online in a shoebox). Is it even worth putting them in an old fashioned album anymore?

At my library branch we put photos of staff and programs on our common drive. We have folders labeled SRC, Parties, Storytime, Building, etc. Staff can go in anytime to look at them. If we made a Flickr account we'd have to be sure to limit the viewers. But then it might be easier to get actual prints made.

No comments: